A little known fact, I used to make weddings cakes as a hobby years ago. Mainly for friends and family. The word got out and the next thing I knew my summers were booked with wedding cake deliveries! Needless to say I gave up the hobby, the beach is much more important to me…
Fast forward some umpteen years later and although I don’t make wedding cakes anymore, every so often I get that feeling to create something delicious, pretty and crafty. My latest concoction is this fabulous rustic lemon cake. I’m totally digging all things ‘rustic’ as of late which in this case makes things much easier. By letting go of the perfection that usually comes with creating a pretty cake I’m opting for a more rustic look instead. It’s all the hype right now and everyone’s loving it!I’ve also decided to go the super easy route with this recipe. Usually I make all my cakes from scratch but I wanted this to be as simple as possible in order to allow you to enjoy your beautiful creation with little fuss. By using store bought cake mix you cut the prepping time by a lot!
- 2 boxes of Duncan Hines Signature Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
- Pam baking spray
- 1 cup (2 sticks) room temperature butter
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease three 8 inch cake pans with the Pam spray. Set aside.
- Make cake batter according to package directions. Pour evenly into prepared round pans. Bake in preheated oven for 24-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Don’t overbake or the cake will be dry! Set aside to cool on a cake rack.
- Place the butter in a stand mixer and beat with paddle handle until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar one cup at a time followed by lemon juice and the lemon zest. Beat well until smooth and creamy. Frost cake once the cake is completely cool.
- I find it's best to wrap cakes after they've cooled down individually with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. It makes handling the cakes much easier and they stay moist.