- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 medium size granny smith apples (or of choice)
- canola oil for frying
- powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Heat 1-2 inches of oil over medium heat.
- In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix all the wet ingredients (vanilla extract through milk) making sure melted butter is not hot.
- Peel and core apples and cut into large chunks. Place in food processor (making sure not to overcrowd) and pulse until small bits. DO NOT OVER-PROCESS.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir using a spatula. Add apples and stir to incorporate.
- Gently drop tablespoons of batter into hot oil and fry until golden brown on each side. Once fried place on a cookie rack layered with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Hello friends and welcome back! Today’s recipe is a great one for the fall season. It’s super easy to make with the most taxing part perhaps being the waiting and watching of the frying process. If you blink you can easily ruin a batch. In my opinion granny smith apples are the best choice for this recipe because of their tartness. The apples are enhanced with the sweet cinnamon giving you amazing flavor!
I also prefer to use a food processor as opposed to chopping the apples by hand. This way it’s done quickly and all come out in perfect little bits (I don’t like chunks). I processed two batches to avoid overcrowding but be careful not to over process or you’ll end up with apple sauce instead.
This recipe will make lots of fritters, although I didn’t count as I was too distracted testing them (wink)! I dusted them with powdered sugar but you can also use sugared cinnamon or warm maple syrup. Trust me when I tell you these didn’t last long!
Like my easy recipes? Don’t miss out. Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and receive all the latest yummy recipes straight to your inbox!