On a typical weekend the kiddos will usher me into the kitchen begging for something satisfying to start the day. And as much as I like pancakes I’m not too keen on the idea of slaving by the stovetop. So I did what every good cook does, I searched through Pinterest for something similar to pancakes (because I didn’t want to disappoint my munchkin) but much quicker, easier and tastier to make, hence a berry german cake!
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar
- dash of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries (or combination), fresh or frozen
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl and put aside. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add this to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined and smooth.
- Place the butter in a 10-in oven-proof skillet and melt over medium-high heat until bubbly. Pour the batter onto the skillet and the berries evenly over the top. Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the pancake is nicely browned and puffed around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven (don't forget that oven mitt!) and carefully transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Unfortunately I wasn’t quick enough with the camera to capture the puffed up cake when I took it out of the oven, but that’s what you’ll get the minute it comes out, kinda neat! Just know it will deflate as soon as it starts to cool down. I also used a very large pan for this recipe, next time I’ll use a slightly smaller pan for a thicker cake. Happy baking!